“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go” Joshua 1:9

December 9, 2012

~ Monthly Update ~

Hey guys!

I know, it has been ages since my last post.. Shame on me :( Anywayz, just thought I'd catch you up on some things that have come up lately.

Last Thursday was Independence Day. Thank you for all those Finns who died in the pursuit of independence!
Exactly 205 years ago Finland was under the tsar of Russia, and exactly 105 years ago Finland proclaimed it's independence.  Every year on the 6th of December it is a tradition to light two candles in the window to inform the young men moving toward Sweden or Germany that they are very much appreciated, as these young men were trained as jagers secretly against Russia in the war. 

We started an old dance course in school this term, which will train us for the Dances next February. This is kinda like prom, although we dance, namesake, older dances. It is dancing from around about Pride and Prejudice age:)

Like all Finns, my family will be celebrating Little Christmas, or Pikku Joulu in Finnish. Funnily enough, the 6th of December is actually when Christmas is celebrated by those who go by the Julian calendar. Since we celebrate Independence Day here in Finland on that date, we have to celebrate "Little Christmas" at another stage. Merry Little Christmas!

I hope all you peeps are wondering what to get for your family for Christmas! I know I will be this week:)

Have an awesome week!


No comments:

Post a Comment